Pages

Wednesday 10 April 2013

How To: Petal Cone Basket


Well I promised a pictorial instruction on how I made my Easter Basket for my chick and here it is (albeit a little later than anticipated).  This little basket can be used all year round for all kinds of occasions to hold sweet treats, paper flowers, gift toiletries or small gift items so it's a great all rounder and the petal cone is not just for cones!




First of all the base colour card was Crumb Cake which I used for two cuts of the Petal Cone Die with the Big Shot.  I then folded all the die made score lines to give me the pieces ready to make the basket. 

To make the fold lines to create the bottom of the box, I used the top score line of the petal cone (at the base of the semi-circular piece as it is when folded down) to line up on the Simply Scored tool (or you could use the paper trimmer) and scored at 6cm and 9cm to create fold lines parallel to those created by the die.  I then cut off the very tip of the cone at the 9cm line to give the pieces as shown above.


I then used Sticky Strip to stick the box together as this is the perfect strong hold to make sure it can hold any heavier contents without coming apart.  At this stage I stuck the two pieces together along one of the vertical tabs.  I then stamped across both pieces on the side which was going to be the outside of the box with the Woodgrain background stamp in Soft Suede to make my wood-effect on the basket. In the picture above, you can see I have already flipped the box over and attached the crumb cake scalloped semi-circles too to two of the flaps (alternate flaps).

 
On the reverse side of the petal cone pieces (with the pieces all laid flat as above), I have stamped the woodgrain background again to decorate the semi-circle pieces which will fold back down over the front edges of the box.  I have then added DSP paper scalloped semi-circles again over the top in the Birds of a Feather DSP.


I added sticky strip as shown in the above picture, ready to complete the box.  Before sticking, if you are adding a basket handle like I have, remember to punch your holes on the top semi-circles first.  Fold the semi-circle down and punch through this and the side panel, making sure you distance the same on each side. 

Next, fold the box up and stick the two side panels together first using the long tab.  Once that is secured you can stand the box upside down and fold over the bottom pieces and stick them together.  Fold one flap with the sticky strip over, remove the backing tape and then fold the opposite tab over (with no sticky strip on) and then repeat.  Make sure you are holding the box square when securing the bottom flaps so the basket is not wonky when complete.

All that's left to do is create a strip for your handle and punch holes at the ends to attach with brads through the holes you made in the side of the basket.  I decorated my handle with DSP matching the basket sides and also created a shaped end to the handle using the scallop border punch.  I wrapped one of the pre-cut banner pieces round a cocktail stick and used the 'Happy Easter' sentiment from the Delightful Dozen stamp set for the sentiment.  I finished off with some Boho Blossom flowers.

The Delightful Dozen stamp set is a fantastic reliable addition to any craft room, with 12 stamps in it for occasions throughout the year - Birthdays, Easter, Mother's Day, Get Well wishes, Congratulations, Valentine's, Thank You's, Halloween and Christmas.  You are bound to use this over and over through the year and even if you used each stamp just once a year, which I very much doubt, that's only £2.50 per stamp for each stamp in the wood-mount set!
 Images © Stampin' Up!

 To place an order, book a party or come to a workshop email me at craftyinkbuds@sky.com

No comments:

Post a Comment