Pages

Saturday 5 April 2014

Easter Woodgrain Basket Weave

Good Morning and it's an early post from me today to bring a basket of Easter goodies.  Shame these are not all chocolate eggs!  I saw this weave technique someone else had used and immediately thought of the Woodgrain background stamp and making a wooden basket from it.  Having started it earlier today I cannot believe how easy it was.
For my basket I took a piece of crumb cake the size I wanted my basket to be and then stamped it in Soft Suede ink with the Woodgrain background stamp.  This is one of the background stamps which are so useful as they are an instant card front, but can also be used for accent elements.  I trimmed my woodgrain image down in strips of 1.5cm each to match the panel of lines on the image.  I then stamped a second piece of crumb cake cardstock and made this into thinner strips of 1cm each.  I used a sponge dauber to give the edges of the wood strips a little more definition and I think it makes them look more realistic.

Now to create the weave.  I laid the 1.5cm strips down horizontally and then alternately fed the 1cm strips vertically into them over and under each 1.5cm I came to.  As I did this I re-adjusted the 1.5cm horizontal strips to keep them together if they were disturbed.  I started the next 1cm strip the opposite of the previous, i.e. over first or under first the 1.5cm strip. If adjusted each time to keep the strips tighter I found after the first couple of vertical strips it started to hold together.  All done, this gave me the woven basket.  I folded the ends of my strips round the card edge and stuck them down and covered them and the ends of the ribbon wrap with another woodgrain stamped panel.
Now, can you see the green grass fringe poking through the top of the basket?  How easy is fringe cutting when you have the Fringe Scissors?  These are a new addition in the Spring/Summer catalogue and they make easy work of fringing.  You can make grass of course with these, perfect for springtime projects, but you could also make flowers by rolling the fringes, or even just a decorative border.

I nearly forgot the eggs!  There's no egg shape punch for these, just the Extra Large Oval Punch. The papers I have used for mine are the Afternoon Picnic designer papers. Now I have to admit, since taking the photo I have added a pearl to the centre egg, I just could not resist!

The 'Happy Easter'?  Well what stamp set have I been saying is useful for just about most occasions through the year?  Have you been paying attention?  It's the Delightful Dozen stamp set!  I've lost count of the times I have used this for my projects this year by now.  I have made a custom tag by cutting the sentiment down and then feeding the strip centrally into the Scallop Tag Punch to make the label end and hole.  I then rounded the corners at the end of the tag with the Corner Punch.

I have another project all ready to show you so make sure you come back to check on the details for that one too.  I have been playing with card layouts.

For my Easter card I used:

128763 Woodgrain (stamp)
131390 Afternoon picnic
133325 Fringe Scissors
128547 Delightful Dozen (stamps)
119859 Extra Large Oval Punch
119871 Corner Punch
133324 Scallop Tag Punch
121685 Crumb Cake A4 Cardstock
106550 Very Vanilla A4 Cardstock
131290 Pear Pizzazz A4 Cardstock
122981 Taffeta Ribbon - Pink Pirouette
126969 Elegant Eggplant Classic Ink Pad

Hope you like my Easter basket, I think there may still need to be some Easter bunnies or chicks coming soon though...........

Suzanne
x

To place an order, book a workshop in your home or come to a class, just drop me an email at craftyinkbuds@sky.com. Remember you can now order online at anytime too.

No comments:

Post a Comment