Pages

Monday 16 December 2013

Waste Not - Using Your Leftovers!

Well we all know that using the leftover turkey on Boxing Day for some kitchen creations is just part of the Christmas traditions we all follow, but as crafters it is also very wise to make the most of your products wherever you can too!  I don't know about you, but I have a scraps box and it is full to the brim of off-cuts of cardstock which I dip into from time to time to add small punched shapes and stamp sentiments onto cards.

Did you realise that it is always good to keep the remainder of card when cutting with dies also? Often the outline cut-out left in the card can be incorporated into a design too.  Today's card does just that!

You will have seen the Merry banners I created for the Craft Stalls I ran recently which each featured the 'Merry' sentiment from the Expressions Thinlits ( 132171).  Well when cutting the sentiment I spaced the die so that I had a enough card surrounding it to be able to cut out the leftover and re-use it.

Here is one of the pieces which I have also run through the Perfect Polka Dots emboss folder (117335).  Now for the thinlits sentiments like the one I have used you do need to make sure you catch the small pieces that are cut that sit in the middle of the letter 'e' and the tail of the 'y' so that you can stick them in place to form the letter after.  I must admit I did not try and put these little pieces through the emboss folder as this was a little too fiddly to place.

Tip: If you are not going to use your 'leftovers' straight away, just pop them in a little cello bag and keep them.  I find it is so easy to make a follow-on card when you have ready cut pieces waiting to be used.  I especially do this when using a lettering/numbering set of dies I have which have mutiple of letters or numbers on one die.  I cut all of the die contents then pop the other pieces in a cello to use another time.  As long as I am needing the same colours, I already have some pieces to play with!

There is a lovely mat of Glimmer Paper (124005 Silver) behind the 'Merry' for the Christmas sparkle, but remember, sparkle isn't just for Christmas, this one is available all year round!  The papers on the card are the Winter Frost Speciality Papers (132341) which I have used the Smoky Slate coloured piece from and, you can just see it on the little banners, there is the fantastic silver foil design from the papers too.

OK, I am on a mission to make a Christmas banner for my big sister so off to craft I go.......

Don't forget TODAY is the last day to order in time for Christmas so if you have something on your list for Santa from Stampin' Up! get in touch I am here ready to take an order.

Suzanne
x

To place an order, book a workshop in your home or come to a class, just drop me an email at craftyinkbuds@sky.com. Remember you can now order online at anytime too.

No comments:

Post a Comment